Reflecting on 2018 + Looking ahead to 2019
I am using the Creative Journal Prompts for the New Year that I shared a little while back.
You can get the prompts right here. These are the same New Year journaling prompts I've been sharing every year for a while now. I do believe in the magic of consistency!
Goodbye 2018. Looking back:
What was amazing in 2018?
That I created Creative Dream Alchemy: a whole new foundation for my work.
It's amazing to me that the Creative Dream Incubator is financially stable enough to give me the space to do that - to explore and experiment and not focus on making something that makes money and have the space to do these explorations not knowing where they were going to lead to.
What did you do in 2018 that you’re proud of?
Thing 1: Project Miracle! I still want to make more versions of Project Miracle in 2019 but am SO proud of this one.
Thing 2: I got a lot more creative about how I share my work and ideas in 2018. I've been drawing weekly journaling printables every week since Jan 2016 (!) for the Year of Dreams journaling kits. This year I took those drawings and started to play around with them. I am proud of how I am exploring my creative edges with these.
Thing 3: I made a point of reading books written by people who are not white. While I am still a little mortified that I didn't see sooner how much of our media only shares the white perspective, and all they ways that this supports white supremacy, I am proud that when I did see it, I did something about it.
And, as a settler Canadian, I did make sure to read Indigenous Canadian authors. And then I recommended this book to everyone I know who wants to better understand how colonialism, genocide and systemic racism function today in Canada, and how we got to this place:
What did you learn/discover that you want to bring into 2019?
Everything about Creative Dream Alchemy - there are new programs I want to create using this framework as the foundation. It feels like so much more is possible now.
What do you want to leave behind in 2018?
Thing 1: Comparing myself or my work to others.
Thing 2: Letting my emotional reactions drive the bus. I mean I'm sure they'll still sneak into the driver's seat but I would like to help my wiser self hold onto the car keys a little more firmly.
Thing 3: Sadly Starfish left us right at the beginning of 2018. Not that we wanted to leave him behind!!! But it was his time to go.
Though he's still in our hearts. And I swear he's with Bear, especially helping him settle into our home after living his whole 1.5 year long life in a cage in a shelter.
What are you most grateful for about 2018?
Thing 1: We had an amazing summer, weather wise. Almost every time it rained it happened in the middle of the night. It was such great cycling and beach-going weather.
Thing 2: That I have some people who have been taking classes with me for EIGHT YEARS. And they keep coming back year after year.
Thing 3: My husband. As a highly sensitive and introverted person sometimes I do miss the quiet simplicity of living alone - but he brings so much love, joy, healing and growth to my life. As much as I was happy alone (and wholeheartedly believe that we don't have to be partnered to live happy fulfilling lives!) I am happier with him.
Thing 4: I got to go to California for a creative retreat!
Thing 5: Bear! Sweet Bear became a part of our family. He sure doesn't replace Starfish but he brings a lot of joy into our home.
How did your dreams grow in 2018?
Actually my dreams and I struggled A LOT this year. I mean the struggle was more on my end, of course. I thought my dream was one thing, but the more I worked on it the more I discovered that I wasn't seeing it right at all.
So it doesn't feel like my dream grew much this year because my dream was so busy growing ME.
I do feel like my dream guided me through the process of building a whole new framework - both for my work and also for my ongoing relationship with my dream.
What did you do to help your dreams grow in 2018? What worked? What didn’t work?
I tried to listen to my dream instead of being the one doing all of the talking. And as my dream offered advice and direction I stayed with the process. Even when my dream guided me towards things I didn't want or didn't think I was ready for. Even when it was frustrating and uncomfortable. That worked.
I also tried to "think big" more than usual, push myself out of my comfort zone a little. DID. NOT. WORK. But maybe I am glad I did that just because it helped me feel so much more sure about the direction I am going in now.
I did stretch out of my comfort zone in terms of how I put myself out there online - using more photos of myself on my blog and social media and being more creative about them. That worked.
How did YOU grow in 2018? What gifts and strengths do you have now that you didn’t have in 2017?
I have more clarity and a WAY stronger foundation for my work now, thanks to the Creative Dream Alchemy framework for working with dreams.
And I think I am getting better at letting things go. Letting it not be perfect and trusting that I'll be ok.
Is there anything you need to do to complete your year? Any unfinished business that you’d like to finish, and leave behind as you move into 2019?
No I feel more than ready to move on into 2019.
Hello 2019! Looking forward:
Try to list 5-10 things (impossibly big or microscopically small or anything in between) you’d like to have happen in 2019, in each of these different parts of your life:
I used to LOVE this exercise back when my life wasn't so aligned with my dreams. I would spend a week or coming coming up with dozens of things. But I really struggle with it now. Let's see what I can do....
- I just got a new doctor, want to keep going for regular check-ups which is something I have NOT been doing for a long time
- Massage every 6 weeks and chiro as needed
- Do those leg stretches that help so much!
- Weight training! I just started this in December I want to keep doing it 2x/week all year
- Get that dental work done that I need
- When I am upset with my husband try to remember sooner that he's on my side and if I am upset with something he's one then there is a good chance there is a misunderstanding, so to try to talk it out before having a big emotional reaction. (OK I can't just magically do that, but I can promise to work on it - I do have all the tools I need)
- Plan friend fun time in advance more often.
- Plan date nights with sweetie in advance more often.
- Get the kids more involved in planning activities with them, get their feedback as we navigate how things are changing with them as they move through teenage-hood.
- 1 afternoon a week dedicated to creative play with no particular focus, just what's inspiring to me in the moment
- Develop a regular intuitive painting practice
- Keep stretching my creative muscles in how I draw the Year of Dreams materials
- To create 4 new versions of Project Miracle. Current ideas for these: putting your soul work out there, navigating self-doubt, finding your dream, shadow work (but of course I know these may change as I work on them)
- Create the new DREAMBOOK course
- Get back to blogging regularly
- Make a deck of Creative Dream Alchemy cards
- I've just worked out a new savings system with my sweetie, I'd like to keep this up all year
- Relax about how sweetie and I spend and manage money VERY differently
- Stay open to selling the loft and buying a duplex when the timing of that is right
- Do that The Prosperous Heart book by Julia Cameron
- Massages and all of the other health stuff
- Meditate every day just for me. I do meditate in the morning before I get to work - how about meditating again after work just for having a nice evening? (Because I know meditating before I do a thing makes the thing way better)
- Use essential oils MORE! It always feels amazing to use them, what if I try to use them all up faster?
- More small work breaks - like an hour or two here and there just for myself
- More meditation, which I already covered in self-care/self-love
- Can't think of anything else, I am happy with where I'm at here.
- Continue with early morning bike rides, weather permitting
- Oh! On that note go for early morning river walks when the river is frozen
- Solo creative retreat
- Weekend retreat with sweetie at that place I want to go to
- Lots of beach days in the summer like we had in 2018
What is your Big Dream for 2019?
To really enjoy myself, to stay as deeply connected to myself as I can as I move through my days.
Why do you want this?
I just feel STRONGLY called towards it, like I just need to go deeper into myself before I will even see what else I may want to create in my world.
How will you feel when you have it?
My heart will sparkle - that's how I feel when I have a sense of inner spaciousness and I am really present with myself. Also: grounded, calm, powerful, creative.
Do you already know how to make this dream real, or is this something you need to learn more about first?
I know exactly what steps to take: making more time/space for my daily Creative Dream Alchemy practice. Follow all of the threads. Be open to what unfolds.
What’s your plan for giving this dream what it needs to thrive in 2019? Brainstorm at least 10 things you can try.
- Start each day with Creative Dream Alchemy process
- Experiment with DREAMBOOK style organizing of my practice + storing of all of the little stories/ideas/healings that come up
- Follow the inspiration that this brings
- Stay committed
What do you want to STOP doing in 2019? And what are some things you can you do to make that as easy as possible? How will not having these things in your life make you happier?
Getting upset when my sweetie doesn't do things around the house the way I would do them. I just have to keep working on my reactions, and stay committed to seeing my own triggers here more clearly. I have to do the inner work that comes up in this process. If I can do this it will free up a lot of energy!
Then imagine yourself at the end of 2019 (You might want to draw/collage/doodle an image of you from one year from now). How are you different? How did you grow? What new strengths and skills do you have? Does you-from-one-year-from-today have any messages or advice for you?
She is grounded and calm and happy. And she's got a HUGE PILE of completed creative projects beside her.
She's in a big open room - so much SPACIOUSNESS.
Oh. I think the message she is sending is that she has her own space. That is something I have been wondering about.
Since we're not selling the loft right now, so I won't be having my own workspace in our home anytime soon, I have been wondering if I should rent a space. It feels a bit over-indulgent since I DO have a great workspace here - I have the amazing wall to wall floor to ceiling south windows on 2 stories!
But I also have my husband listening to the radio and making an omelette while I type this. While he's usually at work on weekdays as soon as he's here I feel like I have less space. I mean - it's OUR space, not MINE.
So that's a thing to keep exploring. Maybe it's not so over-indulgent?